We are excited to be partnered with Jenn Fillenworth from Grand Rapids, MI for this recipe! Jenn is a registered dietitian who puts a focus on making simple and flavorful dishes while also working to inform people that a healthy diet can include all foods. She runs a great blog called Jenny With the Good Eats, can be seen in televised media segments and works as a food liaison for GRNow.com.
Tacos! Tacos are all the rage these days but then again, so are burgers. Why not combine these two great things to get the taco burger? The spices make this burger patty shine and the refried beans are an unexpected but welcomed addition. Put the ketchup down for this one, salsa takes over as the main sauce component and it is delicious. This is the ultimate cookout burger to impress your guests!
1 pound Schaendorf ground beef
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
½ ground black pepper
4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
2 poblano peppers, charred and sliced
½ cup refried beans
½ cup salsa
4 hamburger buns
Preparation (Servings: 4):
1) Preheat grill to 450-475 degrees. While grill preheats, mix the ground beef with salt, cayenne, cumin, paprika, and black pepper. Form into 4, 4-ounce patties.
2) Place poblano peppers on the grill and turn until all sides of the pepper are blackened. Place in a glass bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap so the pepper continues to steam.
3) Place burger patties on the grill and cook to desired doneness. In the last minute of cooking, place cheese slices on the top of each burger.
4) Next, remove the charred skins of the poblano peppers and cut them into strips.
5) To build the burger. Spread refried beans on the bottom bun then place the poblano peppers, followed by the burger patty then salsa. Serve immediately.