We are excited to be partnered with Jenn Fillenworth from Grand Rapids, MI for this recipe! Jenn is a registered dietitian who puts a focus on making simple and flavorful dishes while also working to inform people that a healthy diet can include all foods. She runs a great blog called Jenny With the Good Eats, can be seen in televised media segments and works as a food liaison for GRNow.com.
If you’re like me, you want to get your campsite set up as soon as possible and you want your food ASAP. These campfire burritos are incredibly easy to prepare ahead of time and reheat within 10 minutes. This classic pepper, onion, and steak combo serves up big flavors that you wouldn’t believe could come from a quick campfire burrito! This recipe can easily be prepped the night before and stored in your cooler until ready to reheat on the campfire. Try serving with salsa on the side for an additional boost of flavor.
4 Schaendorf culotte steaks, cooked to preferred doneness
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 bell peppers, any color will work, thinly sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
4 large flour tortillas
Preparation (Servings: 4):
1) Gather all equipment and ingredients needed. First, season steaks with salt and pepper and cook by either grilling or using a cast iron skillet on the stovetop, cook to desired doneness then let rest.
2) Next, sauté sliced peppers and onions in olive oil over medium-high heat until softened, approximately 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
3) Next slice cooked steaks into thin strips.
4) To build the burritos, layer peppers and onions, sliced steak, and shredded pepper jack cheese into the middle of the tortilla and roll up to seal all openings. Wrap the burrito tightly in heavy duty aluminum foil.
5) To reheat, grill in the aluminum foil for 5-7 minutes, turning once halfway through. Carefully unwrap one end and enjoy!